This cookery course is for young people preparing to leave home and head off to university or work. Or for those staying at home but wanting more independence in the kitchen.
The emphasis will be on practical skills and you will cook your socks off during each of the three sessions. But you will also learn about budgeting, eating healthily, food safety and tips for smart shopping. Topics and dishes will include:
- What to consider when cooking for yourself – budget, nutrition, food availability, equipment and so on
- Making breakfasts, lunches and snacks – e.g. overnight oats/porridge and toppings, fruit smoothies, pizza with fresh toppings, frittata, wraps & fillings, baked potato & fillings, pastry snacks
- Meals with mince. Make a basic savoury mince and turn into a lasagne, cottage pie, chilli, meatloaf
- Meals with pasta – spag bol, macaroni cheese, pasta bake, lasagne, carbonara, meatballs etc
- Fakeaway meals (home made takeaways) – curry & naan bread, nachos/tacos, stir fry, fried rice, burgers
- Budgeting and meal planning – avoiding wasted food, cooking with others, batch baking
- Ready Steady Cook challenge – in pairs creating a 2 course meal for 4 people with a budget of £5
All recipes can be adjusted for dietary requirements. Please let us know at least two weeks in advance if you have dietary needs.
By the end of the course you will be a more confident cook, able to work with wholesome fresh ingredients to create delicious and healthy meals on a budget. If we achieve our goal, you will never need to look a ready meal in the eye again!
All ingredients are provided. Please note that the Friday session will be from 2.00pm to 5.00pm; Saturday and Sunday sessions will be at 10am to 1pm.