South African food is packed with flavour and reflects the influence of many cultures. Cape Malay spices are mild but distinctive and contrast plays a key role in many dishes. This cuisine manages to be vibrant, adventurous and comforting!
Chef Pieter van Zyl grew up in South Africa and is an expert in this culinary tradition. Our menu today:
- Frikkadelle – juicy, soft cabbage-wrapped meatballs cooked in a fragrant sauce of tomatoes, onions, cardamom, garlic and ginger
- Sweet-Sour Chicken & potato curry
- Red onion atjar pickle
- Coconut, tamarind & chilli chutney
- Fresh sambal made with onions, tomatoes & coriander
- Demonstration of how to steam the perfect rice
- Hertzoggies – apricot & coconut meringue tartlets – make your own pastry & meringue, fill with apricot jam and top with meringue before you bake them to perfection. A dozen delectable tartlets for you to take home with all your other dishes!
Please arrive by 9.50am, bring several containers to take home your dishes and wear comfortable shoes.